Subject: Re: NFS root doesn't work with 3c590
To: Noriyuki Soda <soda@sra.co.jp>
From: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
List: current-users
Date: 02/05/1997 14:56:21
>  I hope ep driver becomes to use interface which is selected by
>  3c5*cfg.exe utility, instead of selected by ifconfig command,
>  by default.

I don't understand.  At least for the 3c595, that's *exactly*
how things work. The -link[012] flags have no impact on a 3c595 at
all, and  I  don't think they ever did anything useful for a 3c590.
I only have 3c595s, but I've *never* been able to change media type
with ifconfig; only with 3c59xcfg.exe.

There are some problems with the current driver.

The different board generations use not just different bits in a
register, but different *registers* to control media detection/selection.
The autoselect strategy needs to be different, too.

Though I have changes that do better with media control, I haven't
committed anything.  The existing userland/kernel interface is just
not rich enough to cover all the possible cases (AUI, 10base2,
10baseT, 100baseT, plus full-duplex in the last two cases) in any
sensible way I'd been waiting for the if_media changes to become real,
but that hasn't happened yet.