Subject: Re: DPT Raid Controllers
To: Ben Tober <tober@bbnplanet.com>
From: Bill Studenmund <skippy@macro.stanford.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 02/04/1997 11:58:57
On Tue, 4 Feb 1997, Ben Tober wrote:

> > Greetings,
> >
> > Is there any work being done on the DPT SmartRaid (PM3334UW*) Controllers?
> > If not, is there any support for another RAID controller.  The list of
> > supported SCSI cards make no such indication...
> >
> I don't think anyone is, but I'd certainly be interested if someone was.
> I might even be willing to do the work if I can somehow get access to such
> hardware, and, more importantly, to hardware documentation.  Another option
> you might consider is that a few vendors (Symbios being one of them and I'm
> quite sure there are others) make RAID controllers that go on a SCSI bus.
> There's no support for these, but I suspect that with a very little bit of
> hacking to the MI SCSI code (if any) and probably no work on the code for
> the SCSI host adapter you're using, you could make such a thing work.
> Performance might not be as good as with a RAID host adapter, but with a
> SCSI RAID adapter on an ultra SCSI bus it would probably be close.

I was thinking about this while I was trying to get the 486 I use up and
running, as it has one of their older drivers. Unfortunately it seems one
of the driver chips is sick, and it can't see HD's right.

DPT tech support was VERY helpful, especially given that the controller is
way out of warranty. :-)

They have a kit which adds support to BSDI, so that might be a starting
point for a driver.

Take care,

Bill