Subject: Re: README: setroot changes that affect you!
To: Jan-Hinrich Fessel <oskar@unna.ping.de>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
List: current-users
Date: 02/01/1997 11:58:11
On Sat, 01 Feb 1997 19:03:26 +0100
 Jan-Hinrich Fessel <oskar@unna.ping.de> wrote:

 > So that leads to the fact, that I cannot track current on all my i386 boxes
 > because they all have a minimalistic swap partition on the root-disk, i.e.
 > they will not work at all for the things they are destined to.

I think I'm not understanding your question... The _only_ things that the
new setroot does not support are:

	root on ? swap on sd0b and sd1b

...for example.  The old lingo for that would have been:

	swap generic and sd0b and sd1b

...which was not consistently supported (indeed, config(8)'s grammar
certainly complained if you tried to do that, and for it to work, there
had to be nastiness in a port's swapgeneric.c, i.e. hardcoding "likely"
swap partitions into swdevt[]).

 > Is there a manual way around this?

If you wild-card root, swap and dump will be selected at run-time as
they always were.

If you give me specific examples of your current configuration, I could
answer your qeustion better, I think.