Subject: Re: README: setroot changes that affect you!
To: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
From: Erik Bertelsen <erik@sockdev.uni-c.dk>
List: current-users
Date: 01/31/1997 11:07:27
On Thu, 30 Jan 1997, Jason Thorpe wrote:

.. ...I suppose I should have mentioned... the file system names are
.. case-insensitive, and are treated as lower-case by config(8).  These
.. lower-case names are used to build the list of legal file system types
.. which may be specified on the "config netbsd ..." line(s).  So:
..
.. file-system	ffs
..  - and -
.. file-system	FFS
..
.. are treated exactly the same by config(8).
..
.. Note, config(8) still causes -DFFS (in this example) to be used when
.. building the kernel.
..
.. Ciao.
..

The whole idea looks fine -- thank you for the effort.

I still have one wish: Instead of compiling with -DFFS and a bunch of
other -D options, I propose to have config generate a header file (e.g.
file-system.h or something along this line (or even fs-ffs.h, fs-cd9660.h,
etc.)) that is included in just those source files that need it.

This will have two advantages:

  - reduces the number of -D options to the compilations.
  - may increase the reliability of make file dependencies: changes in
    the file system support configuration may require all file system
    sources to be recompiled, but at least it will not generate
    dependencies for the rest of the kernel.

regards
Erik Bertelsen