Subject: Re: shared libraries
To: Giles Lean <giles@nemeton.com.au>
From: Brian Stark <bstark@empros.com>
List: current-users
Date: 01/29/1997 10:25:05
On Wed, 29 Jan 1997, Giles Lean wrote:

> > Apart from the fact that its poor POSIX compliant
>
> Flame bait?  NetBSD isn't 100% POSIX compliant but it is very close.
> What problems have you observed?  What is your authority for POSIX
> compliance (book, copy of the standard, ...)?

Hello Giles

Here's my opinion on this: support for POSIX 1003.1 (system interface) is
sufficient, support for POSIX 1003.1b (real-time extensions) and POSIX
1003.1c (threads) is lacking. I'm not an authority by any means on the
POSIX standards, I just would like to be able to compile some of the
programs here at work (We use SunOS 5.5.1 and AIX 4.2) on my NetBSD
system at home.

I just checked the projects page on the NetBSD web site and don't see a
project dedicated to the implementation of the POSIX standards. IMHO, it
would be nice if there was a project group that could oversee the
implementation of the POSIX standards.

With that said, if anyone is actively working on the implementations of
any of these POSIX standards, I am more than willing to help out with any
testing/coding that needs to be done.

Regards,

- Brian -

| Brian Stark                       | Internet : bstark@siemens-psc.com |
| Siemens Energy & Automation, Inc. | Voice    : +1 612 536-4697        |
| Power Systems Control Division    | Fax      : +1 612 536-4919        |
| 7225 Northland Drive              |                                   |
| Brooklyn Park, MN 55428   USA     |                                   |