Subject: Re: ip reassembly time exceeded?
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Christoph Badura <bad@flatlin.ka.sub.org>
List: current-users
Date: 01/28/1997 03:02:00
ckuhtz@paranet.COM (Christian Kuhtz) writes:
>Anyone who's using SLIP today must be enjoying masochist tendencies.  It's
>like running V.32 with 32 byte frames (welcome to Telebit land ;-).  It hurts,
>don't do it.

>Even CSLIP with header compression is so much more inefficient than PPP, and
>so much more prone to problems.. *ramble* *ramble* *ramble*

Well, I don't know.  We had SLIP running in the NetBSD 0.9 days 24x7
hours over a leased line with Zyxel 16800 bps Modems on both ends.
For us it was very reliable.  The only problems were that NetBSD would
run out of swap after about two months because of the daily and weekly
cron jobs on the 4MB 386SX-16 running the link.  And the Linux crashing
because it couldn't take the load of the incoming news and mail feed
over that link. :-)

>Can we now talk about useful protocols, such as PPP? ;-)

You mean, like, Microsoft's broken PPP implementation?
--
Christoph Badura	bad@flatlin.ka.sub.org

You don't need to quote my .signature.  Everyone has seen it by now.
Besides, it doesn't add anything to the current thread.