Subject: Re: ip reassembly time exceeded?
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Christian Kuhtz <ckuhtz@paranet.com>
List: current-users
Date: 01/27/1997 12:03:11
Ok, let me rephrase it.  I have never seen anyone use a larger MTU than 296
bytes over a modem line in the years that I had used it before PPP was
available.

Besides, dragging out RFC standards in an attempt to describe SLIP is futile. ;-)

The fact is that most SLIP implementations weren't standards compliant, and
the standards were most of the time written after the damage had already been
done and all sorts of incompatible implementations were out there.  That's one
of the biggest reasons why everybody so readily embraced PPP as the savior.

Again, I cannot remember anyone using MTU's other than 296 at the time when
SLIP was the only game in town.  Heck, there were implementations around that
didn't support anything else *but* 296.

--
Christian Kuhtz <ckuhtz@paranet.com>
                                                          ".com is a mistake."