Subject: dotlocking usr/bin/mail setgid
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Andrew Wheadon <andrew@wipux2.wifo.uni-mannheim.de>
List: current-users
Date: 01/27/1997 18:41:16
One of my users just pointed out that the dotlocking fails
for his mailfolder because he (like all other users) has
no write permission to /var/mail.

I do not believe in giving him or anybody else write permissions
to /var/mail (with 1777 as Peter Seebach pointed out in a p.s.).
This problem was not actually answered in the spurned discussion
which instead had a long discussion about dotlocking vs. flocking.

Anyway I want support for dotlocking for various reasons. I am
also apply the setgid method for creating them in /var/mail which
is writable by group 'mail', as done similarly in elm-2.4.25 (which
needs many occurences of 'setgid' changed to 'setegid' for it to
work with 'SECURE_MAIL_GROUP_ID' or some such (an option in Configure).

Now 'mail' is not (yet) safe to be as a setgid program. Before I
go through it to add support for switiching between gid's before
and after creating the lock-files I wondered:
	Has anybody else done this before and can then send a patch
	(or has somebody fixed pr3063 ?)

If not I'll give it a try (only I study business and not computer
sciences ;-)
Cheerio
	Andrew
--
The cost of living hasn't affected its popularity. (Mark Twain)
current	release=doc host=netbsd.wifo.uni-mannheim.de \ "NetBSD-current mirror"