Subject: Re: ip reassembly time exceeded?
To: Jukka Marin <jmarin@pyy.jmp.fi>
From: Curt Sampson <cjs@portal.ca>
List: current-users
Date: 01/27/1997 08:35:04
On Mon, 27 Jan 1997, Jukka Marin wrote:

> I had MTU of 296 bytes on the PPP link on my router machine.  When I changed
> it to 576, things started working (it seems).  I heard that this is the
> minimum length specified for IP packets.

This appears to be some sort of TCP problem. I too ran my PPP link
with an MTU of 296 bytes for some time, and I noticed that connections
to and from the routing machine (a Sun 3--the remote end is a
Livingston Portmaster) were fine, but another machine on my local
area network (this one running Windows 95) was having huge problems
downloading web pages; it was getting ridiculously slow rates,
probably due to dropped packets. Setting the MTU above 576 fixed
this.

This should probably be investigated further.

cjs

Curt Sampson    cjs@portal.ca		Info at http://www.portal.ca/
Internet Portal Services, Inc.