Subject: disk wait - the final frontier?
To: Current Users <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Jukka Marin <jmarin@pyy.jmp.fi>
List: current-users
Date: 01/27/1997 13:12:21
I was trying to use a windoze application with WINE.  I mounted my CD-ROM
drive and started the installation program with WINE.  The CD-ROM encountered
a read error (it has bitten too much dust again, I guess).  WINE fell asleep
in disk wait (ps shows the D status).  My X hung (the mouse pointer moves,
but I can't click any buttons or move windows or anything).  I can't umount
the CD-ROM, I can't eject the disc.. Do I have to reboot to get X working
again?

Why doesn't the SCSI subsystem return a read error to the filesystem, which
would then return an error to WINE.. and get things going again?  Is this
just my i386 system or does everyone have the same problem?  I'm using an NCR
SCSI card, if that matters.

Sigh.. there goes the uptime... :-/

  -jm

--