Subject: Re: How to use CR-Writer?
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Guenther Grau <s_grau@ira.uka.de>
List: current-users
Date: 01/23/1997 15:11:04
Hi,

[...I wonder if I have to take the machine into single user to burn CDs...]
> This depends of the hardware you are using (both host and CD-R).
> Some CD-R have such small caches that even a single 'sync' (as
> generated by the update daemon) can make you loose a CD if the hard disk
> is on the same scsi bus than the CD-R.

That's right, but I just had one failure so far burning CDs while being
in multi-user. Just don't run any compute or i/o intensive tasks :-)

> However, with a "resonable" host, and 1Mb cache on the CD-R, you should
> be able to burn a cd in multi-user mode, if you don't attemps to compile
> a kernel with 'make -j4' at the same time.

Right, works fine for me. AHA-2940, Dual P-100 (of which currently one
is idle :-), Panasonic CD-R-602 (sp?)

> > On the other side, i see what a friend of me does under Linux with his burner,
> > and get more envious every thime he tells me about making his own CDROMS,
> > audio-CDs, even sampling audio-tapes and burning the tracks to audio-CDs.
> > He's using Xcd-roast... any chance to get this to work when we can transfer
> > images to CDs safely? I haven't looked into it yet...
>
> Do we have the sources for this ? It could be cool to port it to NetBSD
> (I don't think we have any chances to get it run in linux-emulation, if
> it sends scsi commands).

Yes, we have the sources for this, and no, linux-emul will most likely not work,
because it uses the raw-scsi-devices and some linux specific stuff. However,
someone posted a mail on cd-write-mailing list, that he had written a protable
scsi-lib which could probably be used to make cd-write (and the frontend
Xcd-roast) portable. I think the src for Xcd-roast and cdwrite are somewhere on
sunsite.unc.edu. There is a new alpha/beta version out on some host, but I forgot
on which.

  Guenther