Subject: Re: killed lpd gets its revenge
To: John F. Woods <jfw@jfwhome.funhouse.com>
From: Arne Helme <arne@pegasus.esprit.ec.org>
List: current-users
Date: 01/20/1997 02:18:25
In message <199701192127.QAA00287@jfwhome.funhouse.com>,
"John F. Woods" writes:
>I saw someone else mention this, but I've lost the attribution.  Anyway,
>I too have been seeing "shutdown -r now" hang, and upon seeing someone say
>that killing lpd appears to be the culprit, I tried it too.  System became
>unusable almost immediately.  (I got a new shell prompt, but even hitting
>carriage return failed to get a response.)
>
>My default printer, for which lpd runs, is a remote print server, so this
>isn't a serial port (or parallel port) lockup thing.

I have seen this during shutdowns on my i386 box running -current too.
I suspect that some of the most recent changes to the VM might be the
cause of the trouble.  My machine hangs in vm_collaps_object()...

-- Arne
| Arne Helme, http://www.pegasus.esprit.ec.org/people/arne/index.html  |
|  Inf/SPA, Univ. of Twente, Box 217, 7500 AE Enschede, Netherlands    |
|  PHONE: +31-53-4894178, FAX: +31-53-4894590, HOME: +31-53-4309352    |
| Email: arne@acm.org  | Linux is the Renault Twingo among OSes -- AH  |