Subject: Re: What is happening with libpthread???
To: Brett Lymn <blymn@awadi.com.au>
From: John Birrell <jb@cimlogic.com.au>
List: current-users
Date: 01/19/1997 07:14:26
Brett Lymn wrote:

> Folks,
>         Whilst stumbling about in the lib sources I saw the stuff for
> the pthreads library there (I am talking the i386 architecture here).
> It appeared that from a December96-ish -current that the library does
> not compile correctly (lots of mis-matched function prototypes).  I
> have tried updating to the latest -current but none of the pthread
> files were changed when I did this.  Is there work that needs to be
> done to integrate the libpthread stuff?  Or have I done something
> wrong?

There is work in progress that will replace libpthread with a version
that shares code with libc. There are still design issues that haven't
been resolved which prevent libpthread from using objects built into
libc (as opposed to building a separate libpthread from the same source
as libc).

You can forget about the code that is currently in /usr/src/lib/libpthread.
I think it should be deleted because it is not being maintained and _can't_
be used as a starting point for an integrated libpthread/libc.

> Brett Lymn, Computer Systems Administrator, AWA Defence Industries

Regards,

--
John Birrell                                CIMlogic Pty Ltd
jb@cimlogic.com.au; jb@netbsd.org           119 Cecil Street