Subject: proc size mismatch... can anyone help clarify?
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Peter Seebach <seebs@solon.com>
List: current-users
Date: 01/15/1997 13:10:43
I've been fighting this recently.  I have three 680x0 machines.

My 68040 (the primary builder) works fine.
My 68030 (also an Amiga), ps works fine, but w gets proc size mismatch.
My 68020 (Sun 3/60), nothing works.

I've rebuilt everything many times.  Can anyone help me grok this?

1.  What is mismatching?  What is the "proc size", and what changes so
constantly that it mismatches easily?

2.  What are all of the inputs to this?  What changes that causes a proc
size to be different?  I have a new kernel, new libc, new libkvm, and
new ps, all built from the same source, booted off the new kernel, and ps
doesn't work... (Also a new kvm_mkdb, and new kvm.db.)

In the long run, why on earth can ps ever fail?  Shouldn't it be like
binpatch, which works on executables made years after the original design?
(At least, it does for me.)  Shouldn't it be able to look up all, not just
some, of the information?  (Well, obviously not *all*, but I'd think within
reason...)

-s