Subject: Re: problem with 'w' after recent rebuild?
To: None <greywolf@starwolf.com>
From: Chris G Demetriou <Chris_G_Demetriou@auchentoshan.pdl.cs.cmu.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 01/13/1997 16:34:59
> >..takes about 20 seconds to rebuild the kvm database...
>
> How often do you reboot?  Often enough that 20 seconds is that much
> of a pain in the /dev/null?
>
> I suppose 20 seconds is annoying, yeah, but at least it doesn't go out
> to lunch permanently.
>
> 'sides, I always thought dic^Hskless was a temporary condition most
> of the time...

I realized when re-reading that message today that i made it sound
like my 386 is being booted diskless.

It's not.

that's 20 seconds or thereabouts, on a diskful machine.  Of course,
it's only a 386-20, with a hellishly slow 100MB hard drive and only
4MB of RAM, but i can't easily increase any of those, and it's not
practical for me to replace the machine.

Unfortunately, the "how often to you reboot" argument doesn't sit very
well with me.  When i reboot, it's typically to handle some other
system problem (e.g., historically, swap getting close to full), and
in that case i want to reboot the box as quickly as possible, so i can
get back to work.

"If quick reboots aren't important, why is there a 'clean' flag in
ffs?"

cgd