Subject: Re: yp vs my home box...
To: Peter Seebach <seebs@solon.com>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
List: current-users
Date: 01/12/1997 14:16:16
On Sun, 12 Jan 1997 16:05:28 -0600 (CST)
 Peter Seebach <seebs@solon.com> wrote:

 > Whenever I boot, ypbind hangs.  (i.e., the "ypbind" just sits there
 > on screen until I ^C it.)  So, not really caring for yp, I remove /var/yp.
 >
 > Next time I make, yp is installed, including /var/yp.  The same symptoms
 > develop.
 >
 > I can find many ways to fix this, but I'm not sure what's going on.  Is it
 > typical for ypbind to hang?  Is there a simple fix?

I posted about this to current-users some time ago... basically,
/var/yp always exists now; you need to update your startup scripts
(/etc/netstart, /etc/rc, etc.)

As for ypbind... it "hangs" when it can't find a ypserv to bind to.  Do
you have a ypserv running on your network?

(I use the NetBSD YP subsystem quite heavily, and I haven't noticed
any serious problems like you describe.)