Subject: Re: devfs (was Share common code/data across ports?)
To: matthew green <mrg@eterna.com.au>
From: Johan Danielsson <joda@pdc.kth.se>
List: current-users
Date: 01/12/1997 06:30:02
matthew green <mrg@eterna.com.au> writes:

> there were no devices for c1t1.  ie, i could not mount c1t1.  as
> i couldn't mount the root filesystem, i couldn't _modify_ it.

The few times I have installed on alphas, I have done so by making
filesystems and untaring from OSF1 rather than the `official' way of
dd-ing an image to disk. The problems I get are similar to what you
describe - the device files gets screwed up (due to incompatibilities
with osf1/netbsd). What I do is mount mfs on /tmp and then MAKEDEV
from there. Then you can mount -u /tmp/whatever /, and continue from
there.

You will of course need mfs in your kernel.

/Johan