Subject: Re: crash (NCR driver?)
To: Davyd Norris <Davyd.Norris@fcollins.com.au>
From: Dave Huang <khym@bga.com>
List: current-users
Date: 01/09/1997 17:56:54
Your lines are a bit long, btw, making them hard to quote... try
wrapping at 70 columns instead of 81 or 82 :) I've re-wrapped them
here...

On Fri, 10 Jan 1997, Davyd Norris wrote:
> I am running an ASUS P54SP4 motherboard with a Pentium 90 and the NCR
> SC-200. My BIOS revision is 3.06 from the looks of the boot info

The ASUS SC-200? And I believe latest BIOS available for the ASUS
boards is 3.07 (which is what I'm running). There's a 4.x out, but
it's not compatible with the ASUS BIOS.

> Could I be having PCI contention problems? Termination problems? I
> don't have to change any jumpers on the NCR when I move the CD over, I
> just plug it into the external connector on the card and reboot. Have
> I missed a termination? I thought I would know all about it if the
> termination was faulty.

Hmm, well if your card is the ASUS SC-200, it's got a jumper on it
for the termination. I believe unjumpered means the card is
terminated, and jumpered means the card is unterminated, but I'm not
positive about that. In any case, you do need to change the jumper
when hooking up external devices, which is rather annoying. What I'd
like to do is get an external active terminator with the half-pitch
50pin connector, and leave the card itself unterminated, but I don't
know where to get any. (any ideas? :)

> The problems I get with the new driver code are always script errors,
> and always within the first five minutes or rebooting - usually within
> the boot period. If I boot OK, I can sometimes login (doesn't matter
> whether single or multi user) and then if I start to exercise the disk
> it yells.

Hmm, strange, my system isn't too much different from yours, and
things work fairly well for me. ASUS P55TP4XE, P100, ASUS SC-200,
Capella 2.1GB and Toshiba CD-ROM. I was running with that for about a
year, and added an Atlas 2.1GB a few months ago. I've also got a 3com
3c595 ethernet card (running at 10Mbps), a Matrox Millenium, and a
Sound Blaster 16.

Oh, and I'm using gcc 2.7.2 to compile kernels.
Dahan: Hani G Y+C 21 Y++ L+++ W- C++ T++ A+ E+ S++ V++ F- Q+++ P+ B+ PA+ PL++