Subject: Re: Problem with make DESTDIR=...
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Holo.Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: current-users
Date: 01/09/1997 10:57:38
> Yes, unforuntately.  After some enlightening chats with cgd, I'm
> kicking around ideas for changing the build process to fix this sort
> of thing.  I'd like to have the entire system build into an object
> tree, using only the makefiles, includes, libs, etc. out of that
> object tree, so that you never have to do a `make install' of any
> kind until the very end.

I would really like it to be possible to build this way.

I would mildly dislike being forced to build this way.

> In other words, for source directory
> 	/usr/src/usr.sbin/config
> We will have object files go in to
> 	/usr/obj.sparc/usr.sbin/config

Will you still support leaving the .o files in
/usr/src/usr.sbin/config?

And is that /usr/obj.sparc or /usr/src/../obj.sparc or what?  In my
case, it matters, because /usr/src is a symlink that eventually
resolves to /sources/working-usr-src or /mouse/sources/working-usr-src
(depending on the machine).  I'd really dislike having to hack on
things to avoid having /sources/obj.sparc and /mouse/sources/obj.sun3
kicking around.

Losing obj directories scattered throughout the tree strikes me as
small loss - even more so because I've never used them myself. :-)

					der Mouse

			       mouse@rodents.montreal.qc.ca