Subject: Re: crash (NCR driver?)
To: Davyd Norris <Davyd.Norris@fcollins.com.au>
From: Jukka Marin <jmarin@pyy.jmp.fi>
List: current-users
Date: 01/09/1997 08:14:17
> I have had continual problems with the NCR driver since I started. They
> are not constant enough to make the machine unusable, but they are
> intensely annoying at times. Up till the latest changes I have had
> assert failures, and the new changes give me script errors and make the
> whole thing very flakey.

I have two machines with NCR810 based cards.  Both are pentium machines.
The first one has only two 1-gig Fujitsu disks which sometimes give an
error message when being mounted - other than that, they (and the NCR)
have always worked well (always = under 1.1, -current, and 1.2).

The other machine has a Wangtek tape drive, a Chinon CD-ROM, and a Sony
DAT drive.  With the 1.2 NCR driver the Wangtek didn't work at all (well,
I could read tapes but not write them).  After installing some patches
I have been able to use the Wangtek.  The Chinon can be used to read data
disks, but xmcd doesn't work with it (although it is supposed to support
this particular drive).  The Sony works just fine, AFAIK.

I have had two small Quantum hard disks hanging off the second NCR and
they worked just fine.

So, basically I'm quite happy with the NCR.  The card is cheap and fast
and most devices I have work ok.  It's just this recent crash with no
warning, no core dump that worries me.  It _could_ be the NCR driver
which now has a patch over a patch, it could be something else.. but
I haven't had 1.2 crash on me without a good reason before.

  -jm

--

                     ---> http://www.jmp.fi/~jmarin/ <---