Subject: Re: Share common code/data across ports?
To: Daniel Carosone <dan@geek.com.au>
From: Jukka Marin <jmarin@pyy.jmp.fi>
List: current-users
Date: 01/09/1997 08:20:43
> Well, I see a third possibility - replace MAKEDEV with a program that
> grovels kmem and pulls out all the info that you'd like to put in a
> devfs. Or even have the kernel produce a nice tree structure via some
> new interface that doesn't have all the overhead of a vfs layer. Then
> populate a normal plain ffs.

Sounds good to me.  Doesn't make things too win95 like (Hey, I'm the
Computer, I know better what the user wants!), is compatible with the
way NetBSD works now, doesn't force the user to use the new way,
doesn't require zillions of symlinks, doesn't require a new pseudo
filesystem...  I vote for this one. :)

  -jm

--

                     ---> http://www.jmp.fi/~jmarin/ <---