Subject: object trees (Re: Problem with make DESTDIR=...)
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Christian Kuhtz <ckuhtz@paranet.com>
List: current-users
Date: 01/08/1997 15:56:00
You have my support for the suggestion below.. That would get rid of this
mess in the proper way.

Although, it might be very beneficial to move everything into a slightly
different tree structure.  Having all this clutter straight under /usr is
messy, IMHO.

I would rather have something more like /usr/obj/arch.release.suffix, with
arch being a mandatory keyword defined by the kernel configuration process,
release the revision of the NetBSD tree and also mandatory, as well as an
optional user definable suffix to define derived releases.  For example:

/usr/obj/next.1.2-CURRENT/
	/next.1.1-RELEASE/
	/next.1.1-RELEASE.chk/
	/next.1.1-RELEASE.derMouse/

Munging sources and objects together in one tree sucks(TM).

Regards,
Chris