Subject: Re: ipfilter changes not complete yet?
To: Thorsten Frueauf <s_frueau@ira.uka.de>
From: Bernd Ernesti <netbsd@arresum.inka.de>
List: current-users
Date: 01/08/1997 23:06:12
On Wed Jan  8 16:11:22 1997, Thorsten Frueauf wrote:
> Hello!
>
> Are the ipfilter changes complete yet? I build a kernel with 07.01.1997
> current-src and got:
>
> ld -z -Ttext F8100000 -e start -S -o netbsd ${SYSTEM_OBJ} vers.o
> ioconf.o: Undefined symbol `_ipfilterattach' referenced from data
> segment
> *** Error code 1

I fixed that a few minutes ago.

> I greped for ipfilterattach but found it nowhere.
> /src/sys/netinet/ip_fil.c just has a iplattach function.

That was the exact problem.

> So did I forget to do anything necessary (I added options PFIL_HOOKS and
> pseudo-device   bpfilter to my kernel file like in the GENERIC kernelfiles).

I think you mean ipfilter and not bpfilter.

> There is also no ipf in /src/sbin/Makefile and no ipf in
> /src/usr.sbin/Makefile yet.

That was okay for the first import of ipf.
mrg planed to commit the kernel changes the next day, but he changed his
minds (after someone persuaded him to do it on the same day :).
I was guilty for that so I fix it now.

> PS: One more thing though: If one uses the attapi patches, one has to
>     make an entry in /src/sys/i386/i386/conf.c for the minor and major
>     device numbers. There is nothing reserved for attapi, so I choosed
>     the last free number (18 and 44) at that time. Now if something
>     new is added (like ipf) 44 is also used, and I have to change
>     the devices for attapi again! Same for MAKEDEV. So wouldn't it
>     be usefull to reserve some numbers for attapi, or will it be never
>     included to the official tree some day?

The atapi source are unoffical changes so we can't really care about the
device number for every unoffical driver.
Remeber this is -current.

Bernd