Subject: Re: Share common code/data across ports?
To: Giles Lean <giles@nemeton.com.au>
From: Grey Wolf <greywolf@siva.captech.com>
List: current-users
Date: 01/08/1997 13:27:00
MAKEDEV, I think, was not meant to be anything more than a catch-all, and
Sun exemplified this perfectly in their SunOS MAKEDEV (in which you simply
said "MAKEDEV std" and it made the standard devices PLUS sr0-sr3, st0-st7
and sd0 thru sd30).

I'd hate to see the Solaris method rear its ugly head here; what would be
_really_ _cool_ is if MAKEDEV could, given an 'autoconf' arg or something,
take a look at the extant hardware and config and trim /dev down to match
the configured list, or at least print messages about 'WARNING: extraneous
device %s'.  Such as detecting that only 16 ptys were configured, but
128 existed.

A symlink farm would be an evil thing.

				--*greywolf;