Subject: crash (NCR driver?)
To: Current Users <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Jukka Marin <jmarin@kyyhky.jmp.fi>
List: current-users
Date: 01/06/1997 11:54:36
Hi,

My pentium system just crashed.  I was using tar to copy a few files to
a Wangtek 5150 tape drive.  I think it copied the files OK but crashed
right after that.  The machine just rebooted with no crash dump or any
message in the logs.  It didn't initialize the display card properly, so
I ended up with a screen full of graphics characters in all colors (I
was running X at the crash time).

I wonder if it was the NCR driver.  I have installed several patches on
the original 1.2 driver to make this Wangtek drive work (and when trying
to make xmcd work with my Chinon CD-ROM drive).  I wonder if I should
return to the 1.2 driver and install just the first patch which made the
tape drive work..

What kind of known problems are there with the NCR driver?

(Yeah, I think it's the driver because this machine had never ever crashed
before, but I haven't been using the tape drives that much yet.)

Thanks,

  -jm

--

                     ---> http://www.jmp.fi/~jmarin/ <---