Subject: Re: routed (?) problems
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Iain Hibbert <plunky@skate.demon.co.uk>
List: current-users
Date: 01/03/1997 13:55:15
On Fri, 3 Jan 1997, Christos Zoulas wrote:

> In article <Pine.NEB.3.91.970102230606.175B-100000-100000-100000@skate.demon.co.uk> plunky@skate.demon.co.uk (Iain Hibbert) writes:
> >Jan  2 22:16:57 skate routed[359]: IP_ADD_MEMBERSHIP ALLHOSTS: Can't assign requested address
> >Jan  2 22:16:57 skate routed[359]: setsockopt(IP_ADD_MEMBERSHIP RIP): Can't assign requested address
> >
> >I looked at that bit of source, but its all gibberish to me..  I can add
> >the route manually with "route add default [..]" and it does work if I
> >add it to the ip-up file too..
>
> There are some problems with the current ppp code I posted to tech-net
> a while ago. Is MCAST_PPP_BUG defined in sbin/routed/defs.h?

no, it is commented out - actually I have sorted my problem with routing now;
the simple solution is to not use routed at all..  I wasn't before, but I
updated my /etc/netstart script and forgot that it wasn't actually needed in
my system.

I have been advised not to use routed at all, as its generally a complex
thing - with this in mind, does anybody know any particular reason that it is
enabled by default?

incidentally, it would be neat if things like system configuration details
were not present in startup scripts, it would make upgrading somewhat
easier..  I know this has been said before though; has anybody done any work
on it?  if not, then I might..  I imagine that most of the NetBSD users don't
change them significantly..

iain