Subject: Re: Help with badsect request
To: John C. Hayward <John.C.Hayward@wheaton.edu>
From: Phil Knaack <flipk@idea.exnet.iastate.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 12/31/1996 15:55:27
>Dear NetBSDers,
>   I have NetBSD-current kernel (last weeks) on a i386 and my wd drive
>on an EIDE controler is developing some bad sectors.  When I attempt
>to badsect /usr/BAD XXXXXX it comes back with /dev/wd0e busy.  This is
>true even in single user mode just after mounting the /usr file system.
>   The disk is a Western Digital AC31600 (1.6Gig).
>   The disk is shared by NetBSD and Win-95.
>   Any suggestions on how to mark some sectors bad?

	Strange .. not ten seconds before I read your message I was marking
some sectors bad on a machine across the office. =-)

	You need a newer badsect, because the version you're using tries to
access the block device rather than the character device.

	I find it odd that you're getting this error, since you say your
system is but a week old, but the date on /local/src/sbin/badsect/badsect.c
(which contains the modification that fixes the prob) on my machine is
October 14. Maybe you forgot to upgrade some parts of your system?

Cheers,
Phil
--
   Interoperation with matter-transporters using polar coordinate
   systems is discouraged, due to round-off and other algorithmic errors