Subject: Re: DAT support?
To: Curt Sampson <cjs@portal.ca>
From: Rick Kelly <rmk@rmkhome.rmkhome.com>
List: current-users
Date: 12/30/1996 21:36:54
Curt Sampson said:

>> What kind of a DAT drive do you recommend for a NetBSD (1.2/i386) system?
>
>Pretty much any one should work, so it's hard to recommend one based on
>how well it works with NetBSD.
>
>I'm using a Sony 7200, and I'm quite pleased with it. It's a
>quad-speed drive that stores 4 GB native. Quad-speed is very, very
>nice, if you can afford it.

My two puny little Archive 2150S tape drives just don't have the capacity
anymore.  With the rmkhome.com network up to seven systems and probably
up to ten by the end of 1997, I need backup capacity.  I discovered
www.onsale.com and bid on Seagate Conner Archive 4586NP autoloading DAT
drive.  Eight gigs per tape and it comes with a cartridge that holds
four tape for a capacity of 32 gigs.  (one can also get a twelve tape
cartridge that holds 96 megabytes.)  The www.onsale.com is an auction
type web site.  They are on their third lot of the Archive DAT drives.
The first lot was 24, the second lot was 75, and they now have a third
lot of 64.  (I bought from the first lot and paid a high of $550, while
the retail price is $2400+.  I've used these drives on sparc/Solaris
with good luck.

http://www.onsale.com/category/inv/00031620.htm

I'm planning on hacking whatever code I need to make this little beast
work with NetBSD/Sun3 1.2B and the latest version of Amanda.  It would be
nice to have some portable SCSI robotics code in NetBSD.
--
Rick Kelly	rmk@rmkhome.com	    rmk@tencats.rmkhome.com
                http://tencats.rmkhome.com