Subject: Re: serial line ideas
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Michael Richardson <mcr@sandelman.ottawa.on.ca>
List: current-users
Date: 12/29/1996 12:39:20

    Chris> Michael Richardson <mcr@sandelman.ottawa.on.ca> said:
    >> Along these lines: are there people familliar with Intel's I2O
    >> spec?

    Chris> Yes.

    >> Anyone doing any work with it?

    Chris> No, partially because of lack of I2O devices, partially
    Chris> because of the agreement by which my group got a copy of
    Chris> the spec.  *sigh*

  Hmm. I always hate it when that happens. I have some friends who are
working with some chipsets supposed to be involved with the
spec. Their group seems to have decided to abandon all non-MS work
though, so my interest has somewhat lapsed.

    >> It suggests a higher level of I/O device/OS compatibility on
    >> ISA/PCI buses to me.

    Chris> What do you mean?  (that doesn't really parse.)

    Chris> If what you're trying to say is that 'device-specific
    Chris> registers essentially go away', that has the potential to

  Without having read other than marketing info, that is what I was
trying to say.

    Chris> be pretty much correct.  It should be possible to build a
    Chris> driver for many I2O devices which provides at least a basic
    Chris> level of functionality, despite different manufacturers,
    Chris> different device internals, etc.

    Chris> Of course, there's still lots of space for vendors to do
    Chris> vendor-defined stuff, so...

  I'd heard that PCI officially specs some variation of the Sun
sbus forth as official byte code for device BIOSes. I do not know how
this and I20 interacts.

  Back to serial device stuff: I would welcome pointers to work done
to rethink the serial device stuff. I read the plan9 papers a long
time ago, I'm going to reread some of that stuff, and the v8 streams
stuff if I can find it.

   :!mcr!:            |  Network security consulting and
   Michael Richardson |      contract programming
 WWW: mcr@sandelman.ottawa.on.ca. PGP key available.