Subject: Re: serial line ideas
To: Michael Richardson <mcr@sandelman.ottawa.on.ca>
From: Chris G Demetriou <Chris_G_Demetriou@ux2.sp.cs.cmu.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 12/29/1996 02:33:17
Michael Richardson <mcr@sandelman.ottawa.on.ca> said:
>   Along these lines: are there people familliar with Intel's I2O spec?

Yes.

> Anyone doing any work with it?

No, partially because of lack of I2O devices, partially because of the
agreement by which my group got a copy of the spec.  *sigh*

> It suggests a higher level of I/O
> device/OS compatibility on ISA/PCI buses to me.

What do you mean?  (that doesn't really parse.)

If what you're trying to say is that 'device-specific registers
essentially go away', that has the potential to be pretty much
correct.  It should be possible to build a driver for many I2O devices
which provides at least a basic level of functionality, despite
different manufacturers, different device internals, etc.

Of course, there's still lots of space for vendors to do
vendor-defined stuff, so...

cgd