Subject: Re: mail spams
To: Guenther Grau <s_grau@ira.uka.de>
From: David Gilbert <dgilbert@jaywon.pci.on.ca>
List: current-users
Date: 12/25/1996 22:47:29

Guenther> Hi,
>> I'm subscribed to the lists via one address, and typically post
>> from at least two others...  and have been known to post to them
>> from many others...
>>
>> How do you handle that in a sane way?

Guenther> I knew about this problem when I sent this mail. I thought
Guenther> about a solution for, but the only things I can come up with
Guenther> are the following two:

Guenther> a) Allow the user to register email addresses he want's to
Guenther> send mail from b) To ease the task of a) in case someone has
Guenther> got lot's of addresses I propose the use of wildcards like
Guenther> Chris_G_Demetriou@*cs.cmu.edu :-)

	I know that I'm jumping into this debate late, but you may
find that Smartlist already has a number of the features that you
desire.  It uses a somewhat fuzzy matching on the list when deciding
to accept or reject a post.

Guenther> But, to be honest, I'm not sure if this would be really
Guenther> feaseable, as the load on our mailserver seems to be high
Guenther> already. (Which brings us to the question which Matthias
Guenther> Scheler raised a couple of days(/weeks?) ago, is there
Guenther> anything we can do to distribute the workload to other
Guenther> servers, but this is just another story...)

	You could start by moving some lists to other servers.  If
people were happy with SmartList as a list server, I'd be happy to
host a few lists.

Dave.

|Mail:      dgilbert@jaywon.pci.on.ca         |  equal if and only if they |
|http://www.pci.on.ca/~dgilbert               |   are precisely opposite.  |