Subject: Re: Exabyte 8200 - is anyone using one successfully?
To: Jukka Marin <jmarin@pyy.jmp.fi>
From: Eric Volpe <epv@panix.com>
List: current-users
Date: 12/19/1996 04:06:28
Interestingly I figured out something about using scsi tapes on my Nov
7th current kernel. I had to create a tape device with minor number 8,
(9 for no-rewind) and always use a blocksize of 1024 bytes, and it works
fine. Anything else, either the entire scsi bus hangs, or the machine
just reboots. According to the source, minor number 8 means to write
only fixed-length blocks. However trying to specify 1024 byte blocks with
the regular minor 0 device does not work any better than any other
blocksize, i.e. it hangs or crashes.
However, this is all on a pmax and so it might be different on other
platforms. I'm just happy to have a viable backup of the system, even if
it did take ages at around 70kb/sec.

	eric