Subject: Re: libedit
To: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
From: Jukka Marin <jmarin@pyy.jmp.fi>
List: current-users
Date: 12/18/1996 09:46:28
> >Um, avoiding at least one of the copies from mbuf to clist to output
> >silo on the way out?
>
> Speaking utterly without numbers: if the copies are done in large
> chunks (an mbuf at a time) the effect is going to very small.  Down
> there in the noise, on machines with ~70Mbyte/sec write bandwidth.

Tell that to my Amiga 3000 - or even my SS1's.  Sure, on a P6/200 you
won't notice the load of one pppd, but try running 16 or 32 pppd's on
a slower machine.... ;)  See, all of us can't afford upgrading our
machines every year.  (This applies to all possible optimizations -
there are people who will notice the speed up of any real improvement.)

Speaking of which - is there anything that could be done to speed up
starting new processes?  Running shell scripts is very slow on my Amiga
(and one running shell script almost stops all other processes on the
system).

  -jm

--

                     ---> http://www.jmp.fi/~jmarin/ <---