Subject: Re: Proxy IPs
To: John C. Hayward <John.C.Hayward@wheaton.edu>
From: Jan-Hinrich Fessel <oskar@unna.ping.de>
List: current-users
Date: 12/16/1996 20:45:23
--==_Exmh_-286955128P

In message <Pine.ULT.3.95.961216070957.1847A-100000@david.wheaton.edu>you write
:
>    I would like to set up a process which other machines on my lan can
> run and have thier IP activity aimed at the internet to be routed thur
> the NetBSD machine and appear to have come from the NetBSD machine.

Maybe your best bet is adress-translation on the NetBSD machine (NAT).
You can get it with the ip_fil lkm.
ip_fil is the string to let archie search for...
Once you got that running, all other machines on the net can route through the
NetBSD machine and appear on the outside as the NetBSD machine.

from the man:
Examples
       To  change  IP#'s  used internally from network 10 into an
       ISP provided 8 bit  subnet  at  209.1.2.0,  the  following
       would be used:

       map 10.0.0.0/8 -> 209.1.2.0/24

       The  obvious  problem here is we're trying to squeeze over
       16,000,000 IP addresses into  a  254  address  space.   To
       increase  the  scope,  remapping  for TCP and/or UDP, port
       remapping can be used;

       map 10.0.0.0/8 -> 209.1.2.0/24 portmap tcp/udp 1025:65000

       which falls only 527,566 `addresses' short  of  the  space

Gruesse
       Oskar

 					Tragbar ist, was nicht herunterfaellt.
						    oskar@zappa.unna.ping.de

--==_Exmh_-286955128P

-----BEGIN PGP MESSAGE-----
Version: 2.6.3i

iQCVAwUBMrWm0rA63tqjeAhZAQE8dAQAiDYp5VVWrmXU4KyM4ZuVHEhFCpubvV4Q
W50lPC/EangqrtVuQnt6oySFxL6BcQOByKENt49LOGdWn77VgaB37so7L/D8LDjs
qYLP26LcGIkOQI8mAsdu5DKq1bYTC9inMRiCluI3UljE8xlPa6VRNUl+3p5AAiXD
XCscMo9vzOQ=
=zY4k
-----END PGP MESSAGE-----

--==_Exmh_-286955128P--