Subject: Re: bin/3011: ftp could be smarter with host:/path and URL's
To: Gordon W. Ross <gwr@mc.com>
From: Chris G Demetriou <Chris_G_Demetriou@ux2.sp.cs.cmu.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 12/11/1996 14:47:35
> > So, where is the gain?
>
> Using rtld to load lookup code saves lots of space where the system
> supports shared libraries, but where we link programs statically
> (i.e. /bin/* /sbin/*) because that avoids dragging in every lookup
> method that nsswitch supports.

So, how much of a win is that, really?

11 [sun-lamp] lose % du -sk /bin /sbin
2485    /bin
4416    /sbin

Even if you save 50k of the space (which is rather unrealistic),
that's still less than 3.5M...

Yes, there's something to be said for dynamically loading modules to
do the various types of lookup, but i'm not sure you can justify
yanking the current set of 'standard' lookup services out of libc into
seperate libraries based on the disk space concerns alone...

chris