Subject: Re: bin/3011: ftp could be smarter with host:/path and URL's
To: Gordon W. Ross <gwr@mc.com>
From: Chris G Demetriou <Chris_G_Demetriou@ux2.sp.cs.cmu.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 12/10/1996 19:19:51
> Actually, that is exactly the reason I have been lobying for an
> implementation of the nsswitch code that removes all the direct
> references to the YP stuff, etc. from libc (and using rtld to load
> those when needed).

Unfortunately, any way you look at it, that's quite likely a step
backward on systems which don't support shared libraries, because if
they don't support shared libraries they're not very likely to support
rtld and dynamic loading of those modules.

Sure, it helps the size of a "few" static executables on systems which
already support shared libraries, but those aren't really _that_ big a
problem, are they?

cgd