Subject: Re: bin/3011: ftp could be smarter with host:/path and URL's
To: Grey Wolf <greywolf@siva.captech.com>
From: John F. Woods <jfw@jfwhome.funhouse.com>
List: current-users
Date: 12/09/1996 23:27:18
> We need to get it out there that THE COMMAND-LINE-BASED UTILITY IS A
> NECESSITY.  What happens, for example, when your whizzybang GUI goes
> south?

You dig out the CD and reinstall Windows NT.  Again.   ;-)

> All this in  reply to the (nc)ftp debate.  For example, I grew up on a
> CLI-only environment (VAX 11/750 running 4.[123/MORE]BSD) and didn't learn
> the joys of a bitmapped windowing environment until much later.

Command line?  You were lucky!  I used to have to enter program arguments on
front panel switches, and these were PADDLE switches, not those fancy-schmancy
butterfly switches!

Ever "load" a program with wire cutters?  I have.

;-)

John Woods,
professional old codger (don't try this at home)