Subject: Re: bin/3011: ftp could be smarter with host:/path and URL's
To: Frank van der Linden <frank@fwi.uva.nl>
From: David Brownlee <david@mono.org>
List: current-users
Date: 12/09/1996 12:03:07
On Mon, 9 Dec 1996, Frank van der Linden wrote:

> Quoting Luke Mewburn,
>
> > Any further functionality such as command editing/recall and completion
> > will most likely have ifndef SMALL_FTP (or something like that) to keep
> > the size down on install media if necessary.
>
> Those features is what I'd call 'too far'. No, it wouldn't be hard
> to, say, use libedit for ftp. But.. it's a file transfer program.
> But if you do this, a case could be made to add extensions like this
> to any other program that has a command-line-like interface. So..
> where to stop?

	One could say 'when all the programs that would benefit from
	using libedit use it'.

> After all, most people that want nice interfaces when ftping are using
> Netscape already at the moment.

	Where does that leave NetBSD/{alpha,amiga,arm32,atari,hp300,
	mac68k,mvme68k,pc532,pica,pmax,sun3,vax,x68k} users?

	Not to mention the fact some of us prefer to use {nc,}ftp as
	we find it a damn sight quicker browsing around a site and
	downloading multiple files, or uploading files, or not
	logging in anonymously, or ...

	A command line ftp is a very useful tool have, and I would
	expect the changes to use libedit to be relatively minimal
	and I would really appreciate having the changes. (Just MHO :)

		David/abs	david@{mono.org,southern.com,mhm-internet.com}

System Manager: Southern Studios Ltd, PO Box 59, London N22 1AR.
Satisfied User: NetBSD, free Un*x {i386,sparc,mac68k,+more} 'www.netbsd.org'.
  System Admin: MHM Internet, 14 Barley Mow Passage, Chiswick, London W4 4PH.
         SysOP: Monochrome, Largest UK Internet BBS - 'telnet mono.org'.