Subject: Re: Lobby for Motif Development for NetBSD
To: Markus Illenseer <markus@tiger.teuto.de>
From: Brett Lymn <blymn@awadi.com.au>
List: current-users
Date: 12/09/1996 15:24:00
According to Markus Illenseer:

> I would be more interested about how many applications which require Motif
>are publically available and re-distributable.  It is useless to think
>about a distribution of Motif for any NetBSD-platform if there is no
>application available.  You cannot re-sell the shared-libraries - the costs
>would be by far more than the one for statically linked binaries.

There are a few motif applications out there, mosaic springs to mind
but there are things like cd-players, a typing tutor and a lot others
I have not come across.  I suspect that there may be more because Sun
is distributing the motif stuff as standard with with their OS - you
get the libraries with the normal client license and the developer's
kit (include files & etc) with the server license, I _think_ that is
how the Solaris licensing works.  I would expect that this will mean
more people will be using the motif stuff since it is there.

Anyway, if people want motif but cannot afford the cost of the thing
(I realise that the OSF charge a hefty price for the source and people
like X open have to recoup this) then maybe they should be looking at
the lesstif project and putting some time/effort into making that work
better.

  "Upgrading your memory gives you MORE RAM!" - ad in MacWAREHOUSE catalogue.