Subject: Re: recent inetd does not handle internal services
To: Chris G Demetriou <Chris_G_Demetriou@ux2.sp.cs.cmu.edu>
From: matthew green <mrg@eterna.com.au>
List: current-users
Date: 12/07/1996 10:37:19
           request_init(&req, RQ_DAEMON, sep->se_argv[0], RQ_FILE, ctrl, NULL);

   on (or around) line 420 of inetd.

   for internal services, sep->se_argv[0] will be NULL.

this needs to be fixed.

   I don't understand why it doesn't use sep->se_service here rather than
   sep->se_argv[0].  It seems both more logical and more correct that
   you'd want to to set up your filter files based on the service name or
   number given the the first column of inetd.conf, rather than the
   argv[0] given for the argument.

   I can imagine situations where you might want to allow access to a
   service (i.e. program invocation) on some port by all hosts, but
   disallow access by certain hosts to the same service on another
   port...

well, kind-of.  tcpd has traditionally used argv[0] to determine what
rules to apply.  ie, `telnetd', `rlogind', etc.  it was *this* that i
was trying to emulate.