Subject: Re: Lobby for Motif Development for NetBSD
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Mister Gandalf <mgandalf@Mentasm.com>
List: current-users
Date: 12/06/1996 09:00:44
On Fri, 6 Dec 1996 00:53:12 +0000 (GMT),
Jose Alburquerque <joselito@becky.smartec.com> wrote about Re: Lobby for=
 Motif
Development for NetBSD:
> Jim:
>=20
> I hope you don't mind me posting this message to the current-users and=

> port-amiga mailing lists.  (I also hope this message does not offend
> anyone.  If anyone is offended, please ignore it.)
>=20
> I would really be interested, except that I'm getting a new system and=
 am
> thinking of just loading l*nux on it.  I'm simply exasperated by the f=
act
> that neat commercial software like the one you mentioned (CDE) is not
> available for NetBSD.
>=20
> I currently run NetBSD on an Amiga 2000.  I've wanted to invest in
> upgrading the speed and memory of the system, but have been discourage=
d to
> do so by the lack of popular software (eg. Netscape) for it.  Instead,=

> I've decided to get a Pentium machine (more popular hardware) and load=
 the
> most popular free unix on it.  However, I'm really pleased with the
> stability of NetBSD, and if I had a choice, I would probably load NetB=
SD=20
> on the Pentium and keep the most stable, free operating system that I =
know
> of.
>=20
> If you think there is a chance of getting these software people to change
> their minds about NetBSD I would certainly be interested in buying a
> CDE/Motif pack from them (I would also be interested in an NetBSD-Amig=
a  =20
> vesion, but maybe this is too much to ask fo now! :-). But if not, I w=
ill
> probably end up just using some other free OS (you know, like l*nux :-=
( .=20
> I hope things work out.
>=20
> Cheers
> Jose
>=20
>=20
>   * * * *     +<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><=
><>+
>  *        *   |                   Jose A. Alburquerque                =
   |
> *  O    O  *  |                joselito@becky.smartec.com             =
   |
> *    ()    *  |             csjaa@csfaculty.engr.ccny.cuny.edu        =
   |
> *  \----/  *  |                                                       =
   |
>  *        *   |         "In God we trust" - From face of US penny     =
   |
>   * * * *     +<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><=
><>+
>=20
> On Wed, 4 Dec 1996, Jim Wise wrote:
>=20
> > If as many of us as possible express our interest inthese products,
> > perhaps at least one vendor will reconsider...
> >
>=20
>=20
>=20

X Inside has ported CDE, Motif, and OpenGL to FreeBSD, Linux, and  a cou=
ple
more OS's.  I am sure if we can show X Inside that the NetBSD market is =
market in which they can sell too, then we could have SOME of the more p=
opular
software out there for the linux people.

-- Mark.

--
              Straight from the FOREVER crashing computer!

                              Mentasm FTP
                           HTTP coming soon!
              A3000, 68040/40mhz, 54megs, 3.1gig, Ethernet

                  CLCHAT SERVER!  us4.clchat.vapor.com

                         Mac, Unix, PC, Amiga