Subject: Re: Lobby for Motif Development for NetBSD
To: Jim Wise <>
From: Jose Alburquerque <>
List: current-users
Date: 12/06/1996 00:53:12

I hope you don't mind me posting this message to the current-users and
port-amiga mailing lists.  (I also hope this message does not offend
anyone.  If anyone is offended, please ignore it.)

I would really be interested, except that I'm getting a new system and am
thinking of just loading l*nux on it.  I'm simply exasperated by the fact
that neat commercial software like the one you mentioned (CDE) is not
available for NetBSD.

I currently run NetBSD on an Amiga 2000.  I've wanted to invest in
upgrading the speed and memory of the system, but have been discouraged to
do so by the lack of popular software (eg. Netscape) for it.  Instead,
I've decided to get a Pentium machine (more popular hardware) and load the
most popular free unix on it.  However, I'm really pleased with the
stability of NetBSD, and if I had a choice, I would probably load NetBSD 
on the Pentium and keep the most stable, free operating system that I know

If you think there is a chance of getting these software people to change
their minds about NetBSD I would certainly be interested in buying a
CDE/Motif pack from them (I would also be interested in an NetBSD-Amiga   
vesion, but maybe this is too much to ask fo now! :-). But if not, I will
probably end up just using some other free OS (you know, like l*nux :-( . 
I hope things work out.


  * * * *     +<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>+
 *        *   |                   Jose A. Alburquerque                   |
*  O    O  *  |                      |
*    ()    *  |              |
*  \----/  *  |                                                          |
 *        *   |         "In God we trust" - From face of US penny        |
  * * * *     +<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>+

On Wed, 4 Dec 1996, Jim Wise wrote:

> If as many of us as possible express our interest inthese products,
> perhaps at least one vendor will reconsider...