Subject: NCR failures followup
To: NetBSD-current users <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Davyd Norris <Davyd.Norris@fcollins.com.au>
List: current-users
Date: 12/05/1996 16:13:05
Hi all,

Just built a kernel with options FAILSAFE in the config file and tried
to boot again.  Things looked a lot more promising at boot - no messages
and life looked good. I then thought I should give the disk a bit of a
thrash and so I did an fsck. Same problem appeared pretty soon into the
second partition. I killed the fsck and dropped back to the old kernel,
then fscked again with no reported errors.

The error message that came up was this (fsck continued - seems to not
be too fatal??!!):

ncr0:0: ERROR (84:10) (47-67-0) (8/13) @(4f4:98080850).
	script cmd = 78340700
	reg:     da 10 80 13 47 08 00 1f 0c 47 80 67 80 01 0f 00
ncr0: restart (fatal error)
sd0(ncr0:0:0): COMMAND FAILED (9 ff) @0xf86e9c00
sd0(ncr0:0:0): FAST SCSI-2 100ns (10Mb/sec) offset 8

That is all she wrote. Is this the 'script error' that someone mentioned
before? What does it all mean? Am I to be trapped in a beta kernel for
the rest of my days? As I mentioned before, things have been hunky dory
with this card (except the asserts) up till now.

Hope I can get to the bottom of this,
Dave.

--
Davyd Norris - Systems Manager