Subject: Re: IP Alias - how to?
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Erik Rungi <rungus@openface.ca>
List: current-users
Date: 12/02/1996 09:51:55
On Mon, 2 Dec 1996, Markus Illenseer wrote:

> >  ifconfig ed2 alias wwwtest.fqdn.de
>
>  This works, Jukka Marin gave me the "final" hint. It is not possible
> to ping the alias-ed IP from the same host, from outside the same host,
> you can access the new virtual address just fine.
>
>  This a bug or a feature?

I get around this by doing a "route add wwwtest.fqdn.de 127.0.0.1".

However, whenever I use the ifconfig alias command, I get the following
error:

ifconfig: SIOCAIFADDR: File exists

The alias works fine, but I always get the error.  I had this problem
under 1.1/i386 as well as 1.2.  (I have about 16 or so aliases on the one
ethernet device currently).

                                                                Erik Rungi
                                                        rungus@openface.ca