Subject: Re: mail spams
To: None <mouse@Holo.Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
From: Mike Long <mike.long@analog.com>
List: current-users
Date: 11/27/1996 16:11:36
>Date: Wed, 27 Nov 1996 15:45:59 -0500
>From: der Mouse <mouse@Collatz.McRCIM.McGill.EDU>
>
>>> 2) Would there be agreement to at least filter [spam-o-matic sites]
>>> out?
>
>> The problem is that people get on to those sites, but they often send
>> their spam through another mail server.  Filtering this sort of stuff
>> is non-trival.

>However, it would mean source hacks to some part of the mail system, to
>sendmail in my case.  I'm not afraid to dive into sendmail, but it
>really does seem like an ugly layering violation.  Dunno what else to
>do, though.

Could this be a good application of the inetd functionality that mrg
recently added?  i.e. inetd checks the IP address (or domain) of the
machine trying to connect to the SMTP port, and refuses the connection
if it matches a known spam engine.
--
Mike Long <mike.long@analog.com>     <URL:http://www.shore.net/~mikel>