Subject: Re: Mail list envelope sender address
To: D. J. Bernstein <djb@koobera.math.uic.edu>
From: Perry E. Metzger <perry@piermont.com>
List: current-users
Date: 11/25/1996 17:20:40
"D. J. Bernstein" writes:
> Here's a dose of reality: A growing problem for big sites such as AOL is
> all the sendmail hosts that say, ``Gee, I'd better stay connected to AOL
> for a while in case I get more mail for them.'' What do you think that
> does to AOL's virtual memory use?

I think that problem is small compared to the way qmail beats the crap
out of a site like AOL by sending thirty copies of a mail message
destined to go to AOL thirty times instead of sending one copy, not to
mention what happens to some poor country like Kenya. All this because
of dubious measurements you've taken based on the fact that yes,
sendmail delays a bit to process every RCPT line. Instead of just
speeding up the RCPT line handling, you pulled something mammothly stupid.

However, as I've said already, this is NOT the qmail bashing
list. This is netbsd current-users. Take it elsewhere.

Perry