Subject: Re: NCR driver
To: Curt Sampson <cjs@portal.ca>
From: Frank van der Linden <frank@fwi.uva.nl>
List: current-users
Date: 11/23/1996 11:04:07
Quoting Curt Sampson,

> I had some patches (from David Brownlee?) that increased speed by
> about 40% on my 486 with 5400 RPM drives (1.4 MB/sec to 2 MB/sec),
> let my 486 run with HP drives (the old one couldn't even get to
> single-user mode), and made no difference at all on my Alpha UDB.

> Fvdl send me his patches, which I was supposed to have a look at
> and test. Unfortunately, I've been so busy this week that they're
> still sitting in my mailbox, and so he just went ahead and commmited
> them.

The patches were taken from a PR, in which the FreeBSD changes were merged
in. They looked sensible, so I asked some people to test them, as I could
not do it myself. I got some good reports, Perry was the last to test them,
and I'd told him he could commit if it worked for him too.

Unfortunately.. now that it has been committed the first negative report
comes in. I'm not sure which changes Curt is talking about. Perhaps
others should also post their findings.

- Frank