Subject: Re: cc: Internal compiler error
To: Christopher J Mason <cmason+@CMU.EDU>
From: David Brownlee <david@mono.org>
List: current-users
Date: 11/20/1996 18:36:40
On Wed, 20 Nov 1996, Christopher J Mason wrote:

> I'm trying to compile a kerberized lpr.  I've fixed several references
> to sys_errlist[] but now I get:
>

>  [...]

> cc -g  -I/usr/local/include -I/usr/include/kerberosIV
> -I/usr/local/include  -DSTRINGS_ALIGNED -DNO_REGEX -DNO_ISDIR
> -DUSE_RE_COMP -DNO_REGCOMP -DUSE_GETWD -DNO_MEMMOVE -DNO_ALLOCA
> -DBOGUS_MB_MAX -DNO_CONST   -DVFS -DKERBEROS -DZEPHYR -DLACL -DANDREW
> -c printjob.c
> printjob.c: In function `printjob':
> printjob.c:139: warning: passing arg 2 of `signal' from incompatible
> pointer type
> printjob.c:140: warning: passing arg 2 of `signal' from incompatible
> pointer type
> printjob.c:141: warning: passing arg 2 of `signal' from incompatible
> pointer type
> printjob.c:142: warning: passing arg 2 of `signal' from incompatible
> pointer type
> printjob.c:192: warning: passing arg 1 of `syslog' makes integer from
> pointer without a cast
> printjob.c: In function `print':
> printjob.c:738: warning: passing arg 1 of `wait3' from incompatible
> pointer type
> printjob.c:786: warning: passing arg 2 of `waitpid' from incompatible
> pointer type
> cc: Internal compiler error: program cc1 got fatal signal 6
> *** Error code 1

	Ouch - looks like an internal bug in gcc (6 is SIGABRT - gcc knows
	_something_ is wrong and has punted before it starts producing
	incorrect code - well, thats the idea :)

	What version of gcc & arch are you running on - its quite possibly
	an architecture specific problem with gcc...

	You could try cutting out functions/sections until it does compile
	to see if you can identify it more clearly, and one option is to
	try compiling it _with_ optimisation (Sometimes, just sometimes
	something will compile with optimisation that won't, though its
	usually the other way around :)

		David/abs	david@{mono.org,southern.com,mhm-internet.com}

System Manager: Southern Studios Ltd, PO Box 59, London N22 1AR.
Satisfied User: NetBSD, free Un*x {i386,sparc,mac68k,+more} 'www.netbsd.org'.
  System Admin: MHM Internet, 14 Barley Mow Passage, Chiswick, London W4 4PH.
         SysOP: Monochrome, Largest UK Internet BBS - 'telnet mono.org'.