Subject: Multiple printer queues to the same device
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Bill Studenmund <skippy@macro.stanford.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 11/18/1996 21:26:05
I'm trying to set up a couple of printer queues which will point to the
same physical device (/dev/tty01). My first effort was to assume that lpd
got exclusive access to the tty. It didn't (or I didn't tell it to).

Then I tried spooling the different queues to the same directory. As long
as I only had one type of file at once, it was fine. If I added another
file, the computer waited for the first to complete before printing the
second.  The problem was that the second file was run through the same
filters are the first. The whole point was different filters! (One goes
through ghostscript, one's raw text w/ nl->cr translation, and one's raw
data).

So what can I do? I'd rather not run ghostscript with indirect queues, as
they are wasteful (the PCL files can get to be 100's of k and copying that
around just because lpd is deficient is distasteful on my Mac IIsi).

Thoughts?

Take care,

Bill