Subject: Re: unionfs
To: Jukka Marin <jmarin@pyy.jmp.fi>
From: Phil Knaack <flipk@idea.exnet.iastate.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 11/18/1996 16:18:10
>Someone mentioned that unionfs is broken and doesn't work in all
>circumstances.  Is it safe to use it to mount a local disk over an NFS
>mounted disk for kernel/userland builds?  I'm running pre-1.2 -current
>and 1.2 on my machines at the moment.

	Indeed. I do this in two different places, between two machines at
home, and two machines at work.

	Someone mentioned that the problems with unionfs have to do with
two simultaneous processes accessing a union-mounted area, although I've
been using union-mounted source directories to rebuild the world for many
moons and versions of netbsd, and have never seen a problem.

	Of course, on every machine I use unionfs on, I happen to be the
only user who has an account. =-)

Cheers,
Phil
--
Phillip F Knaack
Database Programmer, Information Development for Extension Audiences (IDEA)